The most common reasons for dry skin are most likely caused by repeated use of certain chemicals found in soapy cleansers, use of non-mineral cosmetics, and of course our environment, cold weather and wind can cause havoc on our skin. At this point a need to hydrate your skin is essential.
During menopause our hormones are changing and depleting, therefore bringing more problems for our skin. The use of a good shielding moisturizer on a daily basis is vitally important.
As we age and start menopause, we loose lipids, our levels of certain hormones can become unbalanced and even depleted. The skin is affected and starts to thin out and loose its “rebound” so to speak. At this point it is important to take a step back and make some changes to your daily skin care regime.
Below are just a few helpful tips to start to combat your menopausal dry skin.
* Start to introduce healthy oils in your diet, such as omega 3 found in certain fish, like salmon. You can also take this in through supplements.
* When using a sunscreen, (even in the winter months) take special care to find a natural sunblock to protect your skin from UV rays.
*Getting your required sleep is a must. Although this can be difficult when going through menopause because of possible hot flashes and night sweats.
* Commit to an exercise program of at least 20 minutes a day. Walking or light aerobics will do just fine. Along with the cardio aspect, incorporate some toning of the muscles as well. As your body needs the exercise, your face can benefit from facial exercises as well.
* When using products for your basic skin care, it is best to start with a non-soapy cleanser
. Then use a shielding moisturizer, toner, and a gentle exfoliater 2-3 times a week to get rid of the dead skin cells.
* Try changing your liquid foundation to a mineral based, natural foundation, as they are actually healthy and not drying to your skin.
Growing older can be a good thing. You have life experiences that make you wiser and more knowledgeable, and have accomplished many great things. Keep your body and mind fit and take care to hydrate your skin. Go out there and enjoy life!
Kim Hartley is a skin care specialist. She has helped hundreds of people improve the look and feel of their skin, reverse hair loss and get rid of cellulite for good. Make sure you read my article on Galvanic Spa